ISO 9001 standard specifies the requirements for a Quality Management System, irrespective of the industry. For a product development organization/unit, we need to have proper planning, requirement analysis, design and implementation, followed by verification and validation activities. It means that for a product development organization/unit, majority of the ISO 9001 clauses would be applicable. Now what happens in case of a non-product development organization/unit? This article summarises the critical requirements/points to be ensured in such a case.
- Quality policy and Manual
- Organizational Structure
- Roles, responsibilities and authorities of the personnel defined and communicated More »
Attaining a CMMI level (maturity level / capability level) is not a one time job. Without a clear focus it could not be sustained. There are cases where CMMI HM compliant organizations degraded to ML 3 or ML 2 at the time of next assessment due to improper maintenance of practices. Let me pinpoint certain points to ensure a smooth sustenance of CMMI HM
- Definitely first and foremost is senior management support. Then,
- There has to be teams responsible for metric and improvement initiatives related activities.
- The team should be responsible for making periodical baselines, analysis of trends across baselines, fine tuning PPMs , target analysis (baselines Vs targets), root cause analysis including analysis of common causes of variation, improvements identification and validation to meet the revised targets set by senior management.
- This team shall also be responsible for ensuring the implementation of process improvements within projects and analyzing the data from process improvements on a continuous mode, not merely at the end (at the time of target analysis)
- Strong auditing practices needs to be ensured both at the project level as well as at the organizational lelvel. The progress of the above said team also should be audited.
High Maturity Clarifications
- BO needs to be quantitative and traceable to sub process measures through PPO.
- Organizational Innovation and Deployment (OID) changed to Organizational Performance Management (OPM).
- CAR an advanced PA, could be applied across all Pas.
- For more information refer CMMI Dev V 1.2 Vs V 1.3 – ML5 PAs
More Effective GPs
- Renamed GP 2.6 as ‘Control Work Products’ (earlier it was ‘Manage configurations’).
- GP 2.9 is now ‘Objectively evaluate adherence of selected work products’. ‘Selected work products’ now provide more flexibility.
- Simplified the GP 3.2. Earlier statement ‘Collect work products, More »
In CMMI V 1.3 Level 4 and 5 generic goals and practices are eliminated. This means there is no CL 4 and CL 5 . So here comes a question, how high maturity can be achieved in a continuous representation. Answer comes through equivalent staging method.
High maturity that is equivalent to staged maturity level 4 using equivalent staging is attained when you achieve capability level 3 for all process areas except for Organizational Performance Management (OPM) and Causal Analysis and Resolution (CAR).
High maturity that is equivalent to staged maturity level 5 using equivalent staging is attained when you achieve capability level 3 for all process areas.
A comparison of Capability and Maturity Levels is given below
Assume current baselines of productivity inside the organization is 24 to 30 units. Now the organization decides to improves it to 30 (LSL) to 36 (USL) units based on some business requirements. Here, probability to achieve the target is 0 % with the current process. Organization needs to come up with improvement initiatives to change the process.
•Say for example, Usage of ‘x’ tool will enhance coding speed which in turn will results in an increased productivity based on the correlation between productivity and coding speed
First of all need to decide the critical probability with which the improvement initiatives could be chosen after simulation analysis, say it as 75 %. The further steps in Identification and deployment of Improvement Initiatives are as given below.
Target analysis shall be done at the time of next baselinign to check whether the deployed process change has resulted in improvements ,in the expected range. During next PPB, the improvement in the identified factor for improvement proposal as well as improvement in PPO shall be analyzed as below..
High Maturity practices should be implemented genuinely inside the CMMI compliant organization in order to ensure the proper institutionalization of the same. Optimized process should be used so that it won’t be burden upon the employees of the organization. Process optimization should be done probabilistically rather than deterministically. Probabilistic analysis should be done at the organizational level as well as project level. It is an integral part in the realistic goal setting. The below figure illustrates the High Maturity practices in short, to be done at organizational level and project level.
Read the article”http://qualitynotion.com/cmmi-high-maturity-in-short-another-illustration/ to have an integrated illustration of the same.
Here comes a snapshot of changes in ML5 practices between CMMI Dev Version 1.2 and V 1.3..