Reviews have been introduced based on Weinberg’s Concept of Egoless Programming Principle. According to this principle, independent teams are established to detect defects. All work products come under the scope of review. It is the responsibility of project manager to identify the work products for review and allocate sufficient time for review. In case 100% review is not feasible, the work products which need not be reviewed shall be identified in the project.
Review process may vary based on the type of review as well as procedures /steps involved in the review. It has got 3 critical aspects. And it could be summarised as below
- Review Types
- Review can be classified based on a number of parameters like focus of review, stakeholders involved, level of documentation etc.
- Based on the level of documentation, review can be of 3 types- Formal, semiformal and informal reviews.
- Based on the stakeholders involved review can be peer review, expert review, independent review or joint review
- Based on the focus of review, it can be logical review, coding standard review, process compliance review or review wrt higher level documents etc
- Review Steps/procedures
- Review has got six steps- planning, orientation, preparation, review meeting, rework and verification
- A formal review like inspection will have all the above six steps, where as a walkthrough (an example for informal review) need not have all these steps.
- Review metrics
- Review metrics could be of efficiency measures or effectiveness measures. Efficiency points to productivity while effectiveness points to quality
- Efficiency measures -Review speed (size of artefact reviewed in unit time),
- Effectiveness measures – Review defect density ( Defects originated/detected in unit size), review coverage , % defects caught in review etc.